On February 12th, 2019, the Soil Ecology and Restoration Group (SERG) entered into a grant agreement (SDRG-P1-15-01) for the restoration of Alvarado Creek with the San Diego River Conservancy (SDRC) funded by the SDRC’s Proposition 1 Program. The project was located on SmokeTree Homeowners Association property in the Del Cerro neighborhood of San Diego.
The project goals were to:
- Restore native riparian habitat
- Quantify the hydrologic changes resulting from stream habitat restoration
- Quantify the effectiveness of stream habitat restoration in reducing flooding potential
- Quantify the effectiveness of stream habitat restoration in reducing water pollution
- Quantify the effectiveness of stream habitat restoration on biological integrity
- Quantify the response of biological and chemical indicators of water quality to stream habitat restoration